[NEWS] "I Want To Be The Singer That Grows Step by Step"!



Singer G.NA, Gathering of Popularity with First Full-Length Album ‘Black & White’


“The three months I spent preparing for the full-length album was the time I learned the most and it was a precious time where I got to know my own confidence.”

Last year, she became a fist-clenching rookie female singer with ‘I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better.’ G.NA(real name: Choi Gina, 24) has been gathering popularity with her recently released first album title track, ‘Black & White.’

Her compelling vocals, synthesizer sound and rock-guitar base complete the strong dance track ‘Black & White’ and the song is gaining positive reaction from new generation fans.

“Maybe it’s because of the unique song title, but I was sad that I had became known as the singer that sang ‘I’ll Back Off…’ rather than my own name. But now I want to let more people know me musically as G.NA.”

On the 8th at the interview, G.NA said “I filled in all the shortcomings in the first full-length as I went and what I wanted became more evident,” and stressed that “I will become a singer that’ll grow as I go up step by step.”

“At first, in the actual situation Wheesung senior wrote the song as ‘I’ll Leave So You Can Leave Better’ but when we released it, we changed it to ‘I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better.”

G.NA said, “As I prepared for my full-length album, I stopped going out and lived in the recording studio and practice room to show an appearance I can call my own.” She also said, “As a result, the music and lyrics became closer to my actual personality. The general atmosphere of the album is playful and bubbly, yet it also has a sense of friendliness. I also revived the strong feeling from within the softness.”

“A long time ago, my confidence going on stage alone was too little. So I tried really hard to appear confident to the public.”

She said, “My charm is that I sing a pop song twisted with rock elements with a delicate voice.” She also said “The point of this full-length album is to show a bit more comfortable appearance on stage.”

“I don’t think I have satisfaction. The greed to let more people know about me keeps appearing. I’ll do everything with a fiery passion.”

Before the release of her album, a digital single, ‘Nice To Meet You’ was released, in which Wheesung produced, wrote and sang as a duet with G.NA. Including her duet with Rain, ‘What I Want To Do When I Have A Lover,’ her album includes 10 songs.

G.NA’s originated as the leader of the girl group Five Girls’ who debuted in 2006. She promoted with SECRET’s Jeon Hyosung, WonderGirls’s Yubin and other members as well. But when the group was dispersed, she came to walk the road as a solo singer.

She said, “After coming out of my company, I wandered around a lot but I also practiced my singing. While practicing, I worked as an English teacher and I taught English over the phone as well. And that’s how survived through the music industry.”

“After the team’s separation, I went back to Canada but I got a call to take auditions for JYP. Because of my pride, I wasn’t going to go but after my mother’s persuasion, we went to Korea together.”

She said, “In my 2008 audition that was judged by Park Jinyoung himself, I passed and was even called the ‘second Park Jiyoun.’ I was of course, extremely happy. I overcame the obstacle. Even with just the fact that I could start again made me extremely thankful and I am working really hard.”

She didn’t forget to say, “I am in the same company as BEAST and 4Minute, and although I’m not as popular as they are, my mother said, ‘You are number one. It may take a long time, but look ahead and go far.’ With those words, I rose up and released my first album.”

CREDITS: Segye (SOURCE); hyunnypoo@ROYALGNA (TRANS)