[News] G.NA ''Becoming More Confident Due to My Confidence in Korean''



G.NA has come back. Last July she debuted with her powerful singing ability with ‘I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better’ and was accepted as a ‘daebak rookie.’ In August, G.NA continued her popularity with ‘Supa Solo.’ She rose to the top ranks among the idols and has stood out from the other female solo singers in the music industry. 

Things like her ‘Five Girls’ origin, her appearance in 2PM’s debut music video and even her time as 4Minute’s Hyunah’s back dancer has gathered lots of attention. However, a benefit of hers is that she proudly used her power to let her name be known. But this time, it’s definitely changed. She transformed in a feminine way. 

“When I promoted ‘I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better,’ the atmosphere had to be heavy and mysterious. I just tried to match that and keep the song alive. I think the singer has to keep the song alive well. That’s my job and that’s what I wanted. At the time, I didn’t really reveal much of my personality. I didn’t even appear in variety programs then. But now, I think I’ve gotten more comfortable. I think that the fans see that.” 

The new album G.NA presented, ‘Black & White,’ has a playful synth sound, strong rock melody that is combined with G.NA’s powerful yet delicate vocals. However the feeling from this song and ‘I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better’ is different. It’s both powerful and bubbly.

“I’m not always bubbly. At the time of ‘I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better,’ I believed that any emotion, expression, hand motions and gaze were parts of my personality. At that time, I had a vivacious, female warrior feel. However, I feel that was only one side of me shown. At that point, there was never really a time where I introduced myself thoroughly on variety programs. I was regretful. That’s why as I released my first full-length album, I felt as though I was debuting again.” 

The fun part of this album is that it adds emphasis on G.NA’s body and that it is attracting much interest. In the days of G.NA’s debut album, any interest about her body was present, just not as prominent as it is today. Names such as ‘nine-part proportioned body’ and ‘body terminator’ spilled out everywhere. Why did the thing that set her apart from others, change?

“If I didn’t have to buy clothes, I wouldn’t have to say things like this. Honestly, at first I asked ‘How can I wear this?’, but now my stylist and I talk a lot. I wanted to appear bubbly and refreshing to you all. I think they’ve enjoyed watching my more confident promoting appearance.” 

G.NA gave us a feeling of bold transformation from the past in today’s interview. Whenever she came out with her debut song, she didn’t have much confidence on stage and when she talked to other people. Language was definitely a big problem. I think that this was because G.NA, who lived in America, kept experiencing communication gaps with people with her awkward Korean. However, that has changed. 
“I really practiced a lot. When I do an interview, I have to take in the question, figure out its purpose, organize my thoughts and answer. That was the hard thing about interviews. I think the reason why I had no confidence in myself was because I had no confidence in Korean. I think that was why I felt even more dread back then. My company friends helped me a lot. I fixed their English, they fixed my Korean.”

Seven months after debut. During that period of time, there were a lot of different events and there were many different comments about solo singer G.NA. Despite that, the more important thing to her was what they would say about her as time went on. No matter what people on the outside say of her, it is because if she is not satisfied with herself, there is no satisfaction at all. 

“I am more proud of something else rather than what I have done well. Rather than my pride in the things I’ve done, it is more about the people around me who are like family, who’ve always remembered me as a person and were always at my side, giving me strength. During my trainee days, I told myself I’d hold it in for one year, I’ll hold it in for three years. After my debut, I anticipated my future as well as the future of my company and family. Making an album isn’t easy. I think it’s because of the many people that create the road for me to walk on that I can work with even more passion.” 

Although she has yet to become as mainstream as idol groups, her footsteps as a female solo singer isn’t easy. Same goes for IU and even rookie singer, Han Groo. Among those good points, there is G.NA. This part may seem overwhelming for her though. 

“I think that’s what makes it interesting. When I did ‘I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better,’ there were no female solo singers. Now, interest in female solo singers has risen and this overwhelming feeling is large. Despite that I still have confidence. I was born in 1987 but my zodiac sign is the rabbit. I have a good feeling, you know? To say I don’t care about popularity and awareness would be a lie but it also becomes a strength for me so I can show off a better appearance. Although it’s overwhelming to hear stories of legendary female solo singers, I still believe that doing my best and having fun in all that I do is very important.” 



CREDITS: Kuki News (SOURCE); hyunnypoo@ROYALGNA (TRANS)