[Trans] Elle Japan August Issue- TVXQ’s everything






Elle Japan August Issue- TVXQ’s everything

Needless to say, TVXQ is the shiniest Superstar in the Japanese music industry of today.

Causing thousands of people to cry in live performances, with the media striving to follow up on every schedule they have, what do they possess that attracts everyone? Socialogist Shibuya Tomomi, interviewed the duo face to face when they visited Japan.

TVXQ made a comeback in January, releasing their first single “Why~Keep Your Head Down” selling 231,000 copies within a week, bagging the top place on Oricon charts and other music charts. They held a memorial fanmeet, but the amount of fans that wished to attend exceeded their estimated 15000 seats, proving their great popularity. In addition, concert tickets to the “SM Town In Paris” concert held some days back were sold out fast, adding an additional concert date upon local fans’ requests; their popularity has spread out of Asia, and into the European market.



We managed to have an interview with them when they came to Japan for the recording of their new single that would be released on 20 July. “To analyse why TVXQ has such great popularity”- This seemed like an easy, yet difficult mission. Only fans would clearly understand why TVXQ receives much love. Fans loving them will most probably have some common characteristics, as listed. Firstly, their music—Being captivated by Yunho’s dance, and being swept off their feets by Changmin’s high pitched vocals. Secondly, being touched by the “relationship”the duo shares. It is indeed hard for one not to be confused and be oppressed by their charms.

Being surrounded by all the cute, mischievous looking props and clothes prepared for the interview, TVXQ, being superstars, showed a youthful side of them too. As if greeting each other for the first time in a university, Changmin cheekily said, “I’m so envious of you” while Yunho smiled and replied, “I’ve studied in a university before”. Photographers at the scene were slowly taken over by their Superstar-like styles and familiarity. The interview then began.

Having the professional mentality of doing only the best

Music first. Although many different composers have written them many songs, they also released many songs that were written by themselves. Yunho’s “Checkmate” is much popular for its dance and melody, while Changmin’s latest composition “Confession”has become a topic because of its expressiveness.


Where did you get the ideas from to write your own lyrics?
Changmin: Because of my busy schedule, I write diaries once in a while, athough its best to write them every day. Sometimes, I’ll read what I’ve written previously, and as I read my old diary entries, memories flow back and I write them into lyrics.

Which period of your life are you reading lately?
Changmin: I’m reading my entries dated back to around 2 years ago, as to the specific dates, it's a secret. (laughs)

A combination of Trust and Respect

Try observing the “relationship” the two of them share. They treat each other as “brothers”, as always, it makes me feel as if they are sharing an extraordinary love. While Changmin was busy filming, I took the chance to ask Yunho first.

“Changmin, he’s changed- he’s able to convey his own thoughts now. He’s more honest now, as compared to before.” – Yunho

“The power of Yunho is that, he has a really strong sense of responsibility that he can’t control. He’ll always take responsibility first whenever anything happens.” –Changmin

Although Changmin is growing up much, but can you give an example when you will still think, ‘Ah~Changmin is so cute’?
Yunho: When Changmin makes a mistake sometimes, and really feels sorry for it, there would be this sudden awareness of his surroundings. (laughs) That’s when I find him cute. But still, he has matured now. In the past, he ‘d always be the one to say “it’s okay, it doesn't matter”, but now, he really expresses his true thoughts and what he wants to say. To me, I think it’s a good thing, because it means he feels lesser pressure now. I see a more honest Changmin now.

Just like a group leader, Yunho observes Changmin’s growth carefully. With someone caring for him, giving him warmth and staying by his side, this probably allows Changmin to focus on his work.

Changmin’s secret ambition

As long as there is Changmin featured in a magazine, the sales of that magazine would definitely shoot up, this is not surprising in the publishing industry. Possessing such charismatic outer appearance, he is also able to grasp and balance small talks. He uses rich vocabulary, with a humourous tone, and gives answers to questions in a clear, intellectual way. He hopes to try out radio related jobs, like being a DJ, in future.

What Kind of program would you like to do?
Changmin: I’d like to do a night program. The kind where everyone is tired out from a day’s work, from finishing what they have to do and listens to a radio program to relax. I hope to create a relaxing atmosphere, where people gets to pour out their thoughts in that time

So will you plan to play your favourite Jazz guitarist Raul Midon’s songs during the program?
Changmin: Yes, I’d love to do that. Raul Midon and musicians like Steve Wonder, though they have lost their sight, they’re still able to play such in depth guitar performances, and of course, their songs are amazing too. Anyone who has a great interest in music would definitely love them.


Are you still practising the guitar?
Changmin: Even till now, I’d still want to practise my guitar, but I have no time to do it. But I’ll definitely practise it again someday, because I want to play it very well. “I must finish what I should do”- I have this sentence etched in my mind.

To finish what I should do, refers to Changmin and not to Yunho. He hopes to support people that are also working hard, just like himself.

Plans for the future in Japan

What kind of activities will be held in Japan, what performances would TVXQ present? Firstly, we asked about the recording that TVXQ had just finished for their new single.

Yunho: The name of the song is called “Super Star”, it’s about how you want to be a Super Star. It’s a song with a clear message and feel.

Would we be able to hear this in A-nation this year?
Yunho and Changmin (together): Yeah, we think so.
Changmin: This song is especially suited for summer. It has an inciting force and we’ll be able to greet fans with this song. So please look forward to it!

In this year’s A-Nation, TVXQ would be performing in Ehime, Fukuoka, Aichi, Osaka and Tokyo, so I suppose there will be many fans waiting for you.
Changmin:A-Nation to us is like a record of our activities in Japan; it’s an important stage, witnessing how we have grown. This is the first time in two years that we are returning to this stage, and we will work even harder for our performance.

What are the plans in future in Japan?
Changmin: Regarding the exact details, we’re still in the midst of discussions. No matter what, we will work towards releasing an album. It’s been awhile since the release of our previous album, and we are slowly working towards recordings and other activities.

Changmin emphasized on “No matter what…we will”, while Yunho said, “We will work hard”. If they will release an album, then the next step, would be a concert tour. We look forward to receiving this news with a blast.

Let us return to our initial question. Why does TVXQ possess such great popularity? Working hard even behind the scenes, treating the other partner with respect and love, understanding himself well, striving to be the pillar of strength for the other partner – this is the conclusion of this interview. Perhaps this conclusion may seem ordinary, but take consideration that even such ordinary characteristics are difficult to achieve in reality. TVXQ could be considered a SuperStar because, they could do seemingly ordinary, yet difficult tasks to the greatest standards.

TVXQ will stand on stage again with their charismatic stance and will definitely charm us in the future.

Question For Changmin

Q1:A place you’ve recently been to overseas?
A1: I went to Hawaii’s Waikiki for a poster shoot. The weather was good, and the scenery was pretty. It’s like a time for me to refresh myself. A staff said it’s always her dream to stay in Hawaii too so she felt happy to be able to really go there. I could shop freely at the shopping malls there too.

Q2: Are you still continuing boxing, which you started last summer?
A2: I’ve been busy, so I couldn't continue since. Not only boxing, but I’d love to do any exercises that could at least let me shed some sweat and relieve some stress!

Q3: You’ve had much performing chances with juniors. Do you have the conscious of being a senior now?
A3: Although there are juniors younger than me, but most are of same age as me. I haven’t thought of questions like “The definition of Seniors and Juniors” or “Speak something meaningful if you have to”. Although to juniors, I’m a senior, I don't like the idea of using my “senior” identity to treat people around me. Besides the aspect of having to go by formalities, I’d hope we could get along together well just like friends.

Source: [baidutvxq]
Translation credits: smallricee@tohosomnia.net
Shared by: tohosomnia.net