[News] Kim Junsu Expresses Wish To Perform Musicals In Small Theatres




“I’ve fallen in love with musicals, and I wish to perform in small theatres next year, and even the year following the next.”

We met Kim Junsu, who has slowly evolved from his previous identity Xiah Junsu, at a cafe in Cheongdam-Dong .

This new born musical actor, who has been acting in musicals for two years, was full of passion when talking about musicals, and also showed a confident and matured side of himself when talking about in-depth questions, just like an idol singer that has debuted for 8 years.

Kim Junsu is no doubt a big topic to talk about when it comes to artistes juggling the identities of being a musical actor and an idol singer. He is constantly being talked about because of his major roles in musicals, as well as the great sales of his musical tickets; fans even resorting to paying higher prices just to get a ticket to his musical.

Why did you decide to enter the musical industry?

“It’s just so happens that the time was right. Although I’ve received invites to act in movies and dramas when I had the free time, I just felt music was the most important of all. Since I wanted to try something music related, I thought, why not try musicals? I didn't know I would fall in love with musicals when I first started out. (laughs)

After his first musical “Mozart!”, Kim Junsu also starred in another musical “Tears Of Heaven”; it was evident that he was riding on his popularity in musicals.

“It’s only now that I seem to have understood a little something about musicals. When I first started, I’d still feel the pressure even if I didn't make any mistake. Now, I’m slowly learning through acting with my partners, and I’m starting to be wary of audiences’ reactions. That's why musical performances are different every day.”

After which, he proceeded to explain the meaning of “Three Seconds Difference”. He said, “ in ‘Mozart!’, there is a scene where (Mozart) follows behind a Madame, and after his speech is made, when should he make a turn to face the audience, so as to let the audience feel what he wishes to express? About three seconds later, that’s the most suitable. (laughs)

It was also pointed out that as compared to other professional musical actors, Kim Junsu lacked in the ability to convey the meanings in lyrics.

“It's different between performing musical songs and pop songs. For example, you can’t use banding (a type of singing technique; using sound liaisons when singing high or low notes); you have to sing out each and every word in the lyrics. Perhaps I can’t see my difference between other musical actors, but I still have to change my way of singing.”

Being a musical actor, and being an idol singer, which identity do you find yourself being closer to?

“If I would to stand on stage together with my other JYJ members, performing songs using vocal techniques I use in musicals, I think that would be a torture to the other two; even hand gestures would change. (laughs) I guess I’m slowly walking towards the direction of balancing between ‘being a singer and a musical actor’; I’m right in the middle, and can handle both identities freely.”

There were much rumours floating about, for example, the rumour about earning hundred thousands from acting in musicals; being able to become a lead in musicals because his agency had investments in the musicals and such. Surprisingly, Kim Junsu gave a calm answer when he was asked about the "idol hallo" over his head.

“I understand that musical actors have been through difficult times before they are able to stand on stage; and I received this “gift” ( gift of being able to star in a musical) after striving hard as a singer. At least, this is what I feel. As to the rumour on me earning a lot in musicals, I guess it doesn't only apply to musicals? Be it for drama serials or CFs, there always had been rumours on how acting and endorsement fees were sky high…it’s only because the musical industry is doing bad, which is why there were such rumours?”

What future plans do you have for local musicals; any contributions or aspirations?

“I’d like to perform musicals in small theatres next year, or the year after next. I’ll be thankful if I could promote musicals like an ambassador. But to do this, the first step is to attract audience. Musicals would be successful with the love from the audience, and that would attract more investors in time to come. With that, production companies would be able to produce better musicals, and perhaps even able to venture overseas?”

Due to contract disputes JYJ had with their previous agency SM Entertainment, their activities were much affected.

“Currently, the situation is still unclear. Because of our current situation, we have no other choice but to venture into other areas. It’s not easy, but if there is something I want to do, I’d try to find a way out, and I won’t abandon any hope.”

Being 24 years old this year, do you have any plans for national service?

He jokingly replied, “ When I was acting in ‘Tears Of Heaven’, I once thought, ‘it isn’t that bad an experience if I would to bring forward my plans for national service!’”

“I went for a body checkup last year in February, so eventually I’ll have to do national service. (laughs) The outcome was ‘third rank’ (being in the third rank means one had been injured before, but can still serve national service approximately for 22 months). I was quite disappointed when the results came out. Being a man, I have my pride, I thought I’d obtain a “first rank”, as I hope I’d be able to do the most challenging tasks when I do my national service.”

What’s the greatest change in yourself ever since you started musicals?

“During the period when we were settling our lawsuit with SME, it was musicals that gave me another chance. I watch musicals and listen to musical songs most of the time now. I wish to be able to grow into a musical actor that can touch audiences’ hearts.”

Source: [baidutvxq] and [yeonhapnews]
Translation credits: smallricee@tohosomnia.net
Shared by: tohosomnia.net