[Interview/Trans] IU - Joy News 24 Interview Excerpts

Interview 1



Shortly before releasing her new album, IU received her award at the '2011 Melon Music Awards' and was off to a great start. Even though she stumbled and fell down on stage, IU smiled and said, "I consider myself lucky, it could have been worse."

IU stopped attending variety programs for sometime to prepare for her new album. She explained, "After putting a stop on a variety show activities and all that, we were working on the new album all the way. I focused on recording and also studied composing and writing lyrics."

IU said, "I'm a young girl but I don't give others a childish impression. I lost a lot of weight too. Personally, I think I'm looking more matured. Some say I still look like a choding [Elementary school student], so I wanted to show them such an image."

"Watching myself on screen, I seem to have lost my baby fat. Compared to when I debuted, I lost about 10kg. It seems it was time a lose weight. I feel upset when I hear comments sometimes that I'm skinny. Since I don't have very feminine curves, when I lose weight, I look like an elementary school student. I should exercise to lose weight properly but I've always hated exercising (Laughter). Now that I've lost weight, it has become serious."

(On standing at the border between 19 and 20 yrs old)
"There are things that I'm looking forward to and things that I'm worried about, but I'm just going to take it easy. I don't exactly yearn to become 20 yrs old. But then again, I'm not sure about that. There's lots I want to do. I can't tell where things are going to go from here either."

Regarding her personal growth, IU replied calmly, "I can't imagine myself changing very much from who I am now." But IU is definitely progressing in the music industry, that much is evident from her new album this time.

(On receiving help from famous musicians)
"On broadcasts, I revealed that I wanted to become a singer-songwriter and they were very accomodating about that. They also gave me songs similar to my musical interest, which is in analogue."



In particular, the last track on the album, 'L'amant', was a song that Jung Jaehyung was saving for his own album, but he willingly gave it to IU. IU revealed, "After listening to the guide, I pestered Jung Jaehyung sunbae, saying that I definitely wanted to sing this song. In exchange for the song, I promised to be featured on his next album," showing her gratitude towards him.

[She was probably giving him a puppy look like this ^^]

"For the first original composition for my album, I kept on fixing and modifying it over and over again for 4 whole months. I personally wanted to make it good. If you look at the final product, it's quite different from what it looked like at first. Although this song was inspired by a stray puppy I saw on the road, it applies to things in general that we throw away. It's a song that brings out the dark feelings inside of me. Looking at this album, IU's name was really entered many times in the tracklist. It feels good and it would be great if one day all of the album is filled with my name."

"Following 'Good Day' and 'Nagging', this is the final song of the 'So Nyeo series'" and "All the songs in this album are title tracks. We hope to let everyone hear as many songs from the album as possible through the broadcast promotions."



Interview 2

In an interview with Joy News 24, IU said frankly, "Being popular really scares me."



IU expressed, "There were times when it was scary. After two or three months of resting, it seems I was able to sort out my thoughts by myself."

Regarding the recent Melon Music Awards, at which IU received an award, she said, "I'm grateful but I have no desire to win awards. I'm not one to cling to results. It's great that I received an award and came in first, but if people like my songs after listening to them, then positions mean nothing to me."

"I have no ambition. When we were filming for 'Heroes', Noh Hongchul oppa even said, 'Your competitive spirit is close to zero'. I don't think I'm missing anything by having no greed though. Since I can become happy by myself, I don't feel so stressed. Our LOEN representative said the pros are always having a hard time but they don't feel stressed. Seeing things from that perspective, then I'm just an amateur."

"I ended up in last place sometime ago on KBS Immortal Classic 2. Since I didn't have a huge desire to win, I ended up being defeated. Fans told me, 'Shouldn't you participate again to restore your reputation?' but do I have that sort of reputation?"

IU is only filled with ambition when it comes to her own music. IU said, "I don't get stressed. I'm able to use mind control" but "due to the production of this album, I've developed partial hair loss from the stress."

IU said, "I feel that my ambition for music isn't relative but rather, absolute. I persist until I'm personally fully satisfied."

Regarding the comparison of IU to girl groups, portraying both as being in a 'battle', IU expressed, "Since we're promoting together, that's to be expected. However, we belong in different genres and in many aspects we have our respective domains. Everytime I see stuff about our 'battle', I laugh to myself and think, 'I should beat them!' I'm not overly concerned with chart positions though."

IU said, "It's possible that what I'm good at isn't even singing. Whether there's another hidden talent inside of me, I felt that's something I should be searching for. Of course, singing is still great so far, but I have an interest in composing, writing lyrics and even books too. If I'm not singing and discover another interest, I'm not sure where that will take me either. Unlike my peers, I'm just startingto develop an ego now."


Translation: squishyblob @ weheartiu
Source: Joy News 24 and here