[Interview] U-Kiss KOOL Magazine's Group Interview!



Check out U-Kiss group interview in KOOL Magazine below.


U-Kiss made their Japanese debut in December. This interview was conducted during the hot summer weather in September. The seven members were divided into three groups. We asked them to talk to us about “group love” [a love / special relationship that one can only make in a group or team], “love of fans” and “love of a man/woman”


You two get along together well, but your approach to girls is the exact opposite?

Hoon : First, we will try to talk about “group love”. Among U-Kiss, we can feel strong agreement and support between the members, and at what moment can we feel it the most? For me, it is during rehearsals with all the group members. When we work hard, when we repeat our choreography, we can really feel it.

AJ : As for me, it is when we dance together on stage. We can show it to everyone. And also, lastly, this bond is visible when we record TV shows. And can we say that we are still evolving as a group?

Hoon : Except Soohyun and Dongho, all of U-Kiss is the same age, and we all take care of each other. Each member has his difficult times, and moments where he isolates himself. There are also moments without any particular reason, when he is very attentive and helpful. When one of us has a problem, we know just from seeing the expression on his face. And in those certain moments, we will sit down beside him without saying a word, or we will ask, “did something happen?”, or simply we will just talk to him. We do this naturally for one another.

AJ : Yes, we take care of each other in different ways. Finally, we care more for each other than ourselves; there is a true affection among us.

Hoon : Next, let’s talk about “love of our fans”. I really like shaking hands with my fans. We don’t have the opportunity to do this during our performances… But, rather than shaking our fan’s hands who are directly right in front of us, I prefer to clearly see the faces and eyes of each fan. I like to feel little by little than I am becoming closer with my fans! I feel that a personal link is created with each one of them.

AJ : For me, it is when we are on stage and our fans chant for us all together in unison. That really makes me happy. I realize then that U-kiss exists thanks to the fans.

Hoon : Exactly! U-kiss can live thanks to the fans. We do our best everyday to show beautful things to our fans, in everything that we do, we do in thinking about our fans.

AJ : Everything we do, we do it for our fans.

Hoon : Now, let’s go on to “love of a man/woman”. Let’s try to first describe the type of girl that we like. I am the type that doesn’t embrace a girl in my arms unless I really like her. When I was young, I liked cute girls. But when I like a girl, I can’t address her directly. I cannot get myself to say to her “I love you” because it’s embarrassing… But once we have passed a certain stage, I am really capable of doing everything for her.

AJ : I like intelligent girls. I am the straightforward type, I don’t hesitate to approach the girl I like directly.

Hoon : Strangely, I would have thought the opposite. For me, I am the type to move slowly, to look for and to know her feelings before I engage myself…

AJ : Even if I don’t know her feelings (towards me), I follow my feelings. With the other members of U-Kiss of the same age, we talk a lot about love.

Hoon : That’s true. Us two are the ones who give the most advice. For example, “what do we have to offer her?” we talk a lot about this subject.

AJ : I want to give her everything that she wants. The most important, is that it comes from (my) heart.

Hoon : I want to sing on stage for her. And as I sing, since what I can do best is sing, I want to sing her a song that will touch her to the point where she will have tears in her eyes. At then, I’d play her some pieces on the piano and the guitar…

AJ : All that sounds expensive.

Hoon : I will do my best.

AJ : I really like as well creating all sorts of things. Good food, or songs, or even cakes… I’d like to offer her things that I made with my own hands, I’d like to present these to her at the first opportunity.

Hoon : And the most romantic between all of us is Kiseop.

AJ : Agreed. Kiseop is a genius on this subject..

Hoon : I’ll start thinking now about what I could offer to the girl I like in the future.




Kiseop and Dongho don’t like horror films and Kevin cries easily.

Kevin : Let’s start with the “group love”. When we are all together on stage, the support and love among U-kiss is very present. I am really grateful to the other members for all the help they give me.

Kiseop : For me, actually it is when we watch movies all together at the dorm. It’s because we seem like a real family.

Kevin : We like all action movies. Sometimes, we watch horror movies as well…

Dongho : When the others watch horror movies, Kiseop and I go to bed first. It’s scary, so I don’t want to stay and watch.

Kevin : We are a family in these moments, and also when we prepare and share our meals.

Dongho : It’s Eli who is the most talented at cooking among us, and it is he who makes us food.

Kiseop : He is great at making pasta, kimchi stew, and his dishes made with beef are the best!

Dongho : In the morning, I can’t wake myself up. The other members always come to wake me. It’s in these moments when I truly feel their love.

Kevin : Because of Dongho, we are always tired in the morning. Our manager has given us a curfew, we must all be in bed before 1AM, but even after curfew, Dongho hides to go play.

Kiseop : Yeah, and because he stays up late, he can’t get up in the mornings.

Dongho : ……Hmm, don’t you think we’ve become good at Japanese ?

Kevin : That has nothing to do with this.

Kiseop : Yes, our level has improved. The next theme is “love of the fans”. I am happy when the fans make efforts to understand us when we speak Japanese. And when I see fans with tears in their eyes overwhelmed with emotion, it warms my heart.

Kevin : I am happy when the fans sing together in unison. It touches me to see them cry and I end up crying too.

Dongho : For me, it is the encounters with the fans. We can see them really closely and that makes me happy. Sometimes, we can even chat a little with them.

Kevin : The fans are our life !

Kiseop : Yes, and now over to the last topic, “love of a man/woman”. I like cute girls. And also girls who have lots of charm!

Kevin : I like pure girls who smile and laugh a lot.

Dongho : I like both cute and beautiful girls. And also those who listen well. However, I am absolutely incapable of saying “I love you” face-to-face.

Kevin : Ah really ?! That’s true ?

Dongho : It’s embarrassing… So I start by being her friend and little by little I get closer to her.

Kevin : Neither can I, I can’t say it (“I love you”) to her face.

Dongho : You’re not like that, huh Kiseop ?

Kiseop : Indeed, I’m not like that at all.

Dongho/Kevin : Haha…

Kiseop :I will tell her directly, “go out with me!”

Kevin : Oh ! Kiseop really knows what to do to make a girl happy. He is a master in love!

Dongho : This is a real man, this is our god!

Kiseop : (embarrassed laugh)

Dongho :We talk a lot about love, but since we are so busy, we don’t have time for stories of love…

Kiseop : If I could have a girlfriend, I would take her on a trip.

Kevin :I would sing for her. Just her.

Kiseop : They call that karaoke, no ?

Kevin : Karaoke~~ ?! That’s not romantic at all !

Dongho : If I could have a girlfriend, I wish I could speak out about it. If we have a secret relationship, we can’t go out in public. And I prefer to enjoy it and have fun.




Soohyun and Eli, our two romantics who have lots of wishes !

Soohyun : We will start with “group love”. We are like a family, so it is necessary that there is much love among us. We encourage, we give advice, there is a real solidarity.

Eli : And also, before gong on stage, when we join hands and shout “fighting!!!” all together. If one of us has a problem, he can confide in us and we can all together try to help him find solutions, this is another good aspect of U-Kiss.

Soohyun : We have no pre-established rules, however, we are careful to always be respectful, this is fundamental. As well, we ensure each other, we move forward together and become more successful artists. We have all become more like adults. I am the leader, and before I say anything, the other members already thought about the question I would ask.

Eli : We always do everything with enthusiasm.

Soohyun : Next is “the love of fans”. What I enjoy the most, is when I can see fans from the stage. In facing them, their feelings converge to us. Especially when we sing “0330”, we feel that it really touches the hearts of the fans and it makes me so happy. It’s as if our hearts are all connected.

Eli : Me, I like fan-service, like throwing my towel and my water bottle in the crowd. On stage we dance and sing, so we need to drink often and also wipe our sweat. As for fans, it is the same, they encourage us a lot and need to cool off too.

Soohyun : Hey, hey, do you know what the most important part of the human body is?

Eli : Um, the heart ?

Soohyun : Exactly. The fans are our heart, and their existence is precious to us. If the fans were not there, we would not be here any longer. We can only live thanks to their love.

Eli : Since Soohyun said that the fans are our heart, I will say that they are our oxygen. The fans are the essence of U-Kiss. Without the fans we would not sing, we would not dance. We would not do any TV shows or any of our activities.

Soohyun : Absolutely. Okay finally let’s talk about “love of a man/woman”. Eli, what kind of girl do you like?

Eli : Hmm. I like girls who are sweet and nice. And also tall, with big eyes, and a cute smile. And also girls who are a bit sexy.

Soohyun : I like girls who are respectful and very polite. Respect is essential. And also, I love girls who have pretty eyes and a cute smile. I prefer pure girls more than sexy girls.

Eli : Would you confront her head on? Me, I can’t, it’s too embarassng…

Soohyun : Yes, I will directly go to see her. I would like to know everything about her and for her to know everything about me.

Eli : We are very busy though, so we do not have time for romance…

Soohyun : If I could have a girlfriend, I would love to offer her many things. I would write her a unique one-of-a-kind ballad. And we could have matching rings! And matching bags and matching cell phones! Everything in pairs! And then we would spend Christmas together. I would do lots of things !

Eli : I would like to travel with her. We would go to South Africa or a place very far away, I haven’t really decided where yet, but I want to travel with her. I would make a lot of effort to increase our love. In fact, it doesn’t really matter what we do together, everything will be okay for me as long as we are together.

Soohyun : You seem to love giving gifts to your girlfriend.

Eli : Yeah. Even if we just wander around, I want to buy her something…

Soohyun : We really are two great romantics


Credits: http://kame-jun.tumblr.com (Japanese to French Trans) + http://fuckyeahukiss.tumblr.com (French to Eng Trans // Pictures by KEVRIEL + Rocketboxx.net (Distribution)