[Scan/Trans] Get close to the real CNBLUE, from “the secret story of studying abroad” to the “philosophy of love”. – Anan Mag vol. 1748




The starting point was street lives in Japan.

These 4 talented men made a lot of hearts beat.

New princes have appeared in the K-pop scene.
Good musicianship, good looks, and good character…
Let’s zoom into this perfect 4-member band.

Standing on the stage of Zepp —-The dream finally came true.

From “the secret story of studying abroad” to the “philosophy of love”.
Get close to the real CNBLUE.



In Korea, CNBLUE’s popularity is rising up, every time they release a new single, it gains first place. In Japan their popularity has reached the point that it’s hard getting hold of their tour tickets. They are a talented band and make a clear distinction from other Korean dancing idol groups. However, band culture has not really had a deep root in Korea. Therefore, the four of them went to Japan to study music before their debut. They performed in small live houses or on the streets with a few spectators. Their target was so small, it was only “do live performance for more than 100.” They spent their days in the shadow far from the spotlight.

During that time, the leader YongHwa was selected to take the role of “Kang Shinwoo” in the TV drama “You’re Beautiful”, and become a big star overnight. After that, they finally debuted in Korea in January 2010. Although they are still indie band in Japan, their 3rd single that was released last January 2011 reached #2 on the Oricon daily chart. On top of that, the tickets for their first Zepp tour, the title of which was taken from their single title, sold out in a flash.

We did an interview with these men who keep on growing in a fierce pace!

Q : The 3rd single “RE- MAINTENANCE” ranked #2 on the Oricon daily chart, didn’t it?

Yong Hwa : I am really glad and thankful! However, I think that I must not forget the original intention even if the environment surrounding me has changed.

Q : How was the first Zepp tour ?

Min Hyuk : When I was living in Japan, I watched a Zepp concert of a certain band. Ever since I watched it, I’ve been thinking that I want to stand on the stage there some day. Now the dream has come true and I’m really happy!

Jung Shin : Since my dream was Zepp, too, I felt very good. (smile)

Q : You have studied music in Japan? When you decided to do it, was there any difficulties?

Jong Hyun : No, not at all. If anything, band style music is very popular in Japan, I thought it was going to be a very good opportunity to study various things. Plus, having a hard time in a foreign country when you are young is very profitable.

Jung Shin : I had been studying Japanese very hard in Korea but I was troubled many times in Japan, actually… I almost thought that I might have been taught incorrect Japanese (laugh). We were extremely poor during our living period in Japan. A beef bowl of ”Yoshino-ya” was a sumptuous meal.

Q : Were there any other hard things too?

Jong Hyun : I was extremely poor; I couldn’t even afford to buy a beef bowl of “Yoshino-ya”. I wanted to eat it, so I collected the discount coupons desperately(laugh). I even took the coupons which someone else left on the next table! At that time, the most sumptuous meal was a beef bowl with sesame salad and miso soup all at once. The sesame salad is no longer on the menu. I miss it and I am so disappointed.

Jung Shin : Do you remember there was a bitter situation when we only had rice with seasoned powder (furikake)? (Note: Furikake is a dry Japanese condiment meant to be sprinkled on top of rice.)

Yong Hwa : Yes, but my best memory is the fall accident of Min Hyuk! (laugh)

Q : What? Fall?

Yong Hwa : One day when we came back home, we noticed that we had forgotten the (apartment) key somewhere. Our room was on the 5th floor. We were looking for the key, then Min Hyuk suddenly dashed to the 6th floor and jumped down to the veranda of the 5th floor. We were so hungry up to the point that we could faint! We burst out laughing, when we saw it.

We naturally respect each other. We are like families.

Q : You guys are really good friends. What is the respectable point of each member?

Jung Shin : Min Hyuk is my roommate. He’s very tidy and our place is always tidy and clean.
Min Hyuk : Yong Hwa takes good care of us and as a leader, he’s the best. We probably can’t find any better leader than Yong Hwa in all other groups.

Yong Hwa : (embarrassed) When I’m not around because of other schedules, Jong Hyun takes good care of the group and becomes the “sub-leader”. And I’m thankful to him for that.

Q : I think it is very wonderful that you can say this face-to-face !

Jung Shin : Because we are already like a family.

Jong Hyun : Jung Shin has a cool face but actually he’s a mood-maker. Also he likes doing mischievous things (smile). The three of us are comparatively calm but because of him, we are always lively.

Q : Changing the subject, tell me your favorite type of women.

Jung Shin : Big-hearted and thoughtful women.

Jong Hyun : A woman who makes me happy when we are together. That’s good enough!

Min Hyuk : A woman who makes me comfortable like friends. Whoever if she comes to like me.

Q : There are a lot!

Min Hyuk : ………….*embarassed*

Yong Hwa : Firstly, a woman that understands my job well, then has beautiful eyes, long and a little wavy hair, suits pants style well, cooks well, doesn’t tell lies, is nice to my friends and acquaintances….

Jong Hyun : Long story short, that’s a perfect woman.
Min Hyuk : There isn’t. Definitely not. (laugh)

Q : By the way there are a lot of readers of this magazine who are older than you, what do you think about older women?

Yong Hwa : Of course it’s OK. Age doesn’t matter when it comes to liking someone.

*** photo (upper to lower) ***

Fascinated with the beautiful guitar session of Yong Hwa & Jong Hyun
From Zepp tour in January. Base player, Jung Shin
Acknowledged dynamic drummer, Min Hyuk
Osaka, Fukuoka, Nagoya, Tokyo
Lots of fans gathered in four Zepps

Scans: LimeIsntSour @ Twitter
Source: anan No.1748
Japan – English Translation: Tsuchiya Mieko
Credits : CodeAzzurro